Please visit https://mailchi.mp/aera/wera-visiting-researcher-award-2020?e=5c9729eca2 for Web version.
Submission deadline 1 May 2020
Dear WERA Colleague
We hope you are well.
As part of WERA’s efforts to contribute to the advancement of educational research, we jointly offer academics the opportunity to visit the IEA Research and Analysis (RandA) Unit in Hamburg, Germany, and the Diversity in Education Research Lab (DiVER) at University of Hamburg, the DIPF | Leibniz-Institute for Research and Information in Education, as well as one of our Member Associations, the American Educational Research Association (AERA). This award enables visiting researchers to develop their own research project while benefiting from the individual support of IEA, DiVER Hamburg and DIPF experts working in different fields related to international large-scale assessments, especially with a focus on diversity in education. Those interested in visiting at AERA will have the opportunity to work on a research policy topic (among those the visitor advances) and related programmatic activity of international scope and relevance.
To qualify for the visitor award, the applicant will need to:
• Work on a research project related to IEA- and/ or DiVER studies during their stay/ respectively on a research project which highly corresponds to DIPF’s activities; since AERA’s scope of interest in research and science policy issues is quite broad, please send a brief email to email@example.com to determine if the topic is relevant to current AERA activities;
• Obtain the necessary visa and arrange your own travel to Germany or the U.S.;
• Present proof of valid medical insurance coverage for the stay in Germany or the U.S.;
• Be able to communicate fluently in English and/ or German, in English in the U.S.
To be eligible, applicants must meet all four conditions. If applicants cannot meet one or more of these conditions, please consider postponing the application until all conditions can be met.
Note that applicants from Global South countries are explicitly encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Please provide the following documents:
• Letter of request, including the preferred dates and preferred institution for your visit, the general objectives of your visit, and the specific activities you would like to focus on;
• Your CV with a record of publications (if applicable);
• For IEA/ DIVER or DIPF applicants, a proposal or research protocol referring to the focus of your visit. This proposal must include the following items:
o Literature review;
o Expected results.
• For AERA applicants, set forth a research or science policy issue with international relevance and aligned with your scholarly interests or work, and address the following items:
o Summary of the issues;
o What you would like to examine;
o Relevance of your interests to education research or research policy discussions or debates (connect to relevant literatures)
o Administrative, research, or other indicators data that may be useful in your work;
o What product or outcomes you expect to produce.
• The proposal must not exceed 2,000 words.
Please send all documents via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants are requested to insert ‘WERA-IEA-DiVER Academic Visitors Program’ into the subject of their email when submitting the application.
For more information please click here.
DEADLINE: 1 May 2020