EDITOR, CANADIAN JOURNAL OF EDUCATION
The Canadian Society for the Study of Education (CSSE) is seeking an Editor or Co-Editors for the English language content of the Canadian Journal of Education. The Editor needs to have a broad view of current educational research. He or she will interact with researchers working in Canadian education institutions as well as other education researchers; will have a positive impact on the careers of fellow educational researchers; and will help develop the body of knowledge in education. The Editor should have experience in conducting and writing research, sufficient to enable the solicitation and selection of articles that will result in a high-quality publication that addresses the diverse interests of the readership.
The Editor is responsible for selecting and editing the English-language content for the four annual issues of the CJE. All content must be consistent with the editorial policy set by the CJE Editorial Advisory Board and must meet the needs and interests of CSSE members and Journal readers. The Editor is responsible for maintaining the CJE as the premier journal presenting perspectives on all aspects of education including research, practice, and policy. The Editor is committed to making sure that the Journal maintains its reputation for publishing the best scholarship in these areas.
The Editor must be willing to work in an electronic environment, using the Open Journal Systems database for all Journal activities.
TERM OF APPOINTMENT
The Editor or Co-Editors will serve a three-year term, which may be renewed for a second three-year term at the discretion of the CSSE Board of Directors. The Board will evaluate the Editor or Co-Editors annually. The term may be terminated by the Board at any time should the Editor or Co-Editors fail to fulfill the responsibilities of the position. The term will begin on July 1, 2014.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Overall responsibility for the content and quality of English-language submissions to the Canadian Journal of Education.
• Screens manuscripts submitted for publication and responds to authors as appropriate. Responds to queries from individuals interested in submitting manuscripts for consideration. Solicits manuscripts for publication as necessary.
• Seeks independent, unbiased peer reviews of submissions that are accepted into the review process. Provides substantive and stylistic comments on articles.
• Establishes and conforms to publication deadlines set in consultation with CSSE and CJE staff in order to meet the goal of producing a timely publication that stays within the budgetary guidelines established by the CSSE Board.
• Consults with the CJE Editorial Advisory Board on policy and editorial matters.
• In partnership with the CJE Editorial Advisory Board, defines the overall strategic direction for the Journal.
• Provide leadership to achieve the goals determined by that strategic direction.
• Actively solicit manuscripts for the Journal.
• In partnership with the CJE Editorial Advisory Board can identify and develop one themed issue in alternative CJE publishing years.
• Work with the CJE Editorial Advisory Board and the CSSE Board of Directors to recruit and select peer reviewers.
• Maintain regular communications with individual members of the CJE Editorial Advisory Board.
• Convene an annual meeting of the Editorial Advisory Board during the annual CSSE conference, to discuss Journal policies and procedures and the direction of the publication. Report annually to the CSSE Board of Directors and the CJE Editorial Advisory Board on the status of the publication. A portion of the annual meeting of the Editorial Advisory Board to be scheduled as a session with the CSSE Board of Directors.
• Conduct initial screening of all manuscripts and forward those that meet the Journal’s criteria on to selected reviewers.
• Work with authors to revise manuscripts based on reviewers’ comments and his/her own recommendations for improvement (e.g., clarity, development of ideas, scholarly accuracy, overall quality, and compliance with publication guidelines).
• Write a thoughtful Editorial for each issue.
• Coordinate journal production with the CSSE Journal Manager to ensure four issues per year on a regular production schedule.
• Participate in journal promotion and development activities including, such as those offered by the Canadian Association of Learned Journals.
• Develop and present a session at CSSE for new scholars, focusing on article writing.
• Preparing the journal grant application in collaboration with the Director of Administration, the Journal Manager, and, as necessary, members of the CSSE executive committee.
• The CJE Editorial Advisory Board; the Rédacteur/trice; the Journal Manager; the CSSE Director of Administration; the CSSE Board of Directors.
• The Editor will regularly report to the CSSE Board of Directors on the status of Journal submissions. This will include but not be limited to a written annual report that summarizes the Journal’s publication activities and editorial direction.
• PhD or EdD in education or related field
• Demonstrated ability as a writer or editor
• Must be knowledgeable about CSSE and the field of educational scholarship, broadly defined
• Member of CSSE
• CSSE will make an annual payment to the host institution to support the editor. The annual amount will be paid in two installments.
Please send a cover letter and CV to the CSSE Director of Administration at the address noted below. Writing and editing samples may be requested.
DEADLINE: 17 April 2014
Tim Howard, Director of Administration